Miami Music Week is finally back after a 2-year hiatus! Here are some pro tips on how to network as a DJ and enjoy your time....just in case you might have forgotten.
1. Be cool. No one wants to be bothered or annoyed when they are just there to have a good time. Don’t fangirl over certain DJs. Try having a meaningful conversation. Many people are willing to share knowledge and answer questions under the right settings and circumstances.
2. Have your USB ready for a set. Speaking from experience, you never know what opportunity might present itself. There's a lot going on during the week. DJs run late, flights are missed, people get drunk. Parties or venues might have open decks or someone might just ask you “hey want to go b2b?” It can happen. Now, this does not mean you should ask or assume you will be rocking a set but preparation is always key. Stay ready, so you don't have to get ready.
Stayed till the end of the Owasla After Hours Party in 2015 and ended up closing the night out. :)
3. Talk to as many people as you can. Managers, DJs, and Label owners will be present at these parties. Whether it's Email, Instagram, or phone number; connect and get as many contacts as you can. (Load a cheap USB with your demos and info to hand out as well)
4. Listen to what the DJs are playing. There will be music throughout the weekend that you hear over and over. You probably won't know the track or ID but these unreleased tracks might be the gems that blow up upon release. You might not usually hear these types of sets or even play this style of music but there's always something you can take away from listening to something different. Be ahead of the game and show love.
5. Remember to have fun! We are all here for the same reason. The love of music. Don’t forget to cut loose and enjoy yourself.
Check out the full list of events and parties going on all week: